The Windshield Replacement Arizona Survival Guide – Need to Know?
A vehicles windshield provides the occupants a barrier from road debris and the outside elements. But most people in Arizona don’t know a windshield is designed for structural safety in case of an accident, especially a rollover. A windshield is a vehicles third most important safety feature behind the seat belts, and air bags.
Windshields are like basketball backboards for air bags. So if you have a damaged windshield your air bag may not function correctly. It actually may inflate out the windshield cavity, rather than towards you. Or it won’t adsorb any pressure because your windshield simply pushes out.
Most consumers are not aware that when technicians replace your windshield, there is significant scratching to the “pinchweld” where the glass bonds to the car. These scratches must be prepped using paint and rust prevention steps. They should not simply leave exposed scratches where moisture from the exterior side can cause rust to develop.
Here are some questions you should ask your Arizona auto glass company:
- Is the new glass OEM?
- Did they remove the brand label on the windshield?
- Does the new glass have a shade band that matches your old glass?
- Is the new windshield the same color glass? (glass is actually colored, not clear)
- Does your windshield have a rain sensor?
- Is your windshield heated? (companies will install non-heated and charge for heated)
- Does the windshield have the right bracket for your rear view mirror?
- Does the new windshield have the same third visor as your old glass? (the painted black design which you can see around the rear view mirror on most cars)
- Are they using a universal trim molding, or the actual trim molding part for your vehicle?
- Does the company pay to fix paint scratches, if made by the auto glass technician?
Always inspect a piece of glass for scratches and distortion before it’s installed.
Types of Automotive Glass
A windshield is actually two layers of glass with a laminate material between the layers, what is called “laminated glass”. Laminated glass is extremely hard to puncture or break apart. That’s why a large object like a stunt man, can impact the windshield without breaking through. The strength of laminated glass combined with proper adhesion of the windshield to the body of the car provides massive strength against the roof collapsing in a rollover.
All of the other windows in your vehicle are “tempered glass”, which means they break into tiny fragments to reduce injury to the occupants. (a small fraction of vehicles have laminated side and rear windows also)
Today’s vehicles use urethane as the adhesive to bond the windshield to the vehicle, like a glue. Some urethane after complete hardening which can take 2-4 weeks, can hold 500 pounds per square inch of pressure. That’s one reason why you could never simply push your windshield out. Impossible! Some urethane allows you to drive away within one hour after installing the windshield, hardening just enough to withstand vehicle accidents. When your replacement has been completed, make sure to inspect the inside of your vehicle around the edge of the glass. Make sure no urethane has oozed out into view or onto your vehicles interior. This is more common then people realize and needs to be fixed immediately before the glue hardens!
You can always find out what you need by calling your local Arizona dealer and giving them your VIN Identification number from your vehicle. If your car is important to you and you want to maintain the investment, always call your local dealer and ask for advice about your specific vehicle.
Windshield Shade Bands and Windshield Color
All auto glass has a shaded color. No windshields are completely clear. Typical shading colors are blue, green, bronze, and grey. Be sure sure to get the same color. You will see that all pieces of glass in your vehicle are the same color, excluding privacy glass and tinting.
A windshield may have a shade band across the top near the roof of the vehicle. This area is preferential. You should decide if you like it or not. It does tend to hide the edge of the interiors headliner when looking at the vehicle from the exterior. Shade bands do come in different colors but not all windshields
Most windshields can be ordered without a shade band at all. But you may find the part is actually more expensive because less people order it. Having a shade band does provide some shading in between your sun visors but it does little to drastically shade the sun. Take note the shade band will be darker at night.
Exterior Trim and Moldings
Your vehicle may have exterior trim or moldings cover the edge of the glass and/or covering the edge the car body. If the trim molding is just rubber, make sure you know what the technician is using to replace it. Some companies are now requiring that technicians use only a universal type aftermarket molding, rather than one that is specifically designed for your car. There should also be an OEM molding part available which is exactly the same as your original molding. Do note that cost for OEM is always more.
You may see plastic and/or metal trim moldings covering the edge of your windshield on the exterior. Normally these have some type of plastic or metal clips that attach them to the glass or vehicles body. Make sure the company replaces any broken clips or parts from removal of these parts. If your vehicle is older than 3 years, these parts become very brittle and damage easy. You may be warned about parts that always break, in which the company may request you also purchase that part ahead of time. You may find a lot of companies simply glue those parts back into place, rather than replacing the broken parts.
Vehicle Windshield Logo and VIN Window
On vehicles like a Ford Mustang and Ford F150, you may have a logo in the third visor above the rear view mirror. These windshields can be ordered with out the logo and are cheaper that way. Make sure you ask about your options.
Most windshields have a small narrow window for viewing of the VIN identification number near the lower drivers side portion of the glass. Make sure this window is in the right location on the glass. When the job is completed, make sure that glue has not covered the VIN, the VIN number plate has not been cut off, or that it has not been badly damaged. Police or the DMV in Arizona will give you a hard time if the number is not legible or is completely missing from that location.
Original Equipment Manufacturer (OEM) Versus Original Equipment Equivalent (OEE) - Auto Glass
In today's society, many people have a very hectic lifestyle between work and family that it is hard to get some things done during other people's workday. For example, if you come out to get into your car to go to work and find that you have a broken or cracked windshield but have a full day of meetings that are going to last past the time the car window repair shop is open. In most states it is illegal to drive with a cracked or broken windshield so what are you going to do. In this case, you need to find shop that offers mobile windshield replacement. Not all shops offer this service, which is where a technician comes to your place of business or residence and replaces the windshield. In addition to replacing a broken or cracked windshield, the technician can try to fix the crack with resin and smoothed out until you can no longer see the damage.
With a cracked windshield, there is a possibility of having a serious accident if the glass collapses before you can get it fixed. In many instances, your car insurance will cover mobile windshield replacement or repair without paying a deductible. Take the time when you get to your office, call a repair shop, and make an appointment to come to your place of business to take care of the problem.
To make sure that your insurance company will pay for this service you should call them before making an appointment to have your windshield fixed. It is very easy to submit a claim for this service. Once you have found out if the service is covered or not, let the insurance company know that you have windshield damage. There are usually no forms to fill out. Once this is done, you call and schedule an appointment to have this taken care of.
When you call the repair shop they will ask for the model and make of your car so they will bring the correct windshield to your place of business or residence to fix the problem. Once the technician arrives at your place of business, they will let you know they are there. After looking at the windshield, the first thing that the technician does is remove the outer lining around the windshield. Then special suction cups are attached to the windshield to lift it up and remove it. The broken windshield is put into the repair truck and a new one is put back in the same way it was removed. Once the windshield is replaced and set in place, your car is ready to drive. The process will usually take no more than fifteen to thirty minutes to complete.
- Trusted Windshield Replacement Company Phoenix
- Experienced Windshield Replacement Company North Phoenix
- Professional Auto Glass Replacement Company Tucson
- Windshield Replacement Experts Mesa
- Trusted Auto Glass Replacement Company Chandler
- Windshield Replacement Professionals Gilbert
- Best Auto Glass Replacement Company Glendale
- Windshield Replacement Professionals Scottsdale
- Auto Glass Replacement Experts North Scottsdale
- Trusted Windshield Replacement Company Tempe
- Windshield Replacement Experts Peoria
- Windshield Replacement Surprise
- Expert Windshield Replacement Company Yuma
- Auto Glass Replacement San Tan Valley
- Experienced Windshield Replacement Company Avondale
- Windshield Replacement Professionals Goodyear
- Trusted Auto Glass Replacement Company Flagstaff
- Auto Glass Replacement Professionals Casas Adobes
- Auto Glass Replacement Experts Buckeye
- Professional Auto Glass Replacement Company Lake Havasu City
- Auto Glass Replacement Casa Grande
- Windshield Replacement Experts Catalina Foothills
- Auto Glass Replacement Maricopa
- Trusted Auto Glass Replacement Company Oro Valley
- Auto Glass Replacement Professionals Sierra Vista
- Windshield Replacement Professionals Prescott Valley
- Auto Glass Replacement Prescott
- Experienced Windshield Replacement Company Marana
- Trusted Windshield Replacement Company Bullhead City
- Professional Auto Glass Replacement Company Sun City
- Auto Glass Replacement Apache Junction
- Professional Windshield Replacement Company Queen Creek
- Best Auto Glass Replacement Company El Mirage
- Best Windshield Replacement Company San Luis
- Windshield Replacement Professionals Florence
- Expert Auto Glass Replacement Company Kingman
- Professional Auto Glass Replacement Company Drexel Heights
- Experienced Windshield Replacement Company Fortuna Foothills
- Windshield Replacement Professionals Sahuarita
- Professional Auto Glass Replacement Company Sun City West
- Expert Auto Glass Replacement Company Fountain Hills
- Experienced Auto Glass Replacement Company Anthem
- Best Auto Glass Replacement Company Green Valley
- Windshield Replacement Experts Nogales
- Best Auto Glass Replacement Company Rio Rico
- Best Windshield Replacement Company Eloy
- Expert Windshield Replacement Company Tanque Verde
- Expert Windshield Replacement Company Douglas
- Expert Auto Glass Replacement Company Flowing Wells
- Best Windshield Replacement Company Payson
- Auto Glass Replacement Experts New River
- Experienced Auto Glass Replacement Company Sierra Vista Southeast
- Best Auto Glass Replacement Company Somerton
- Expert Auto Glass Replacement Company Sun Lakes
- Best Windshield Replacement Company Paradise Valley
- Experienced Auto Glass Replacement Company Fort Mohave
- Windshield Replacement Experts Verde Village
- Expert Windshield Replacement Company Coolidge
- Best Windshield Replacement Company Tucson Estates
- Windshield Replacement Experts New Kingman-Butler
- Windshield Replacement Experts Cottonwood city
- Expert Auto Glass Replacement Company Camp Verde
- Experienced Windshield Replacement Company Vail
- Professional Auto Glass Replacement Company Chino Valley
- Windshield Replacement Experts Show Low
- Professional Auto Glass Replacement Company Sedona
- Professional Windshield Replacement Company Valencia West
- Trusted Auto Glass Replacement Company Cave Creek